Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3938 times)

Robert OBrien

• View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
Hi All, I have just joined this site and wish I had discovered it, and others such as 'Good Morning Yesterday' much sooner. My first article on GMY was posted yestereday for those interested.
I lived in Johor Bahru twice - the first time from 1953-1956 (I was 3 when we arrived) and again from 1959-1963 during which time our home was in Jalan Tarom. I first went to school in Majeedi, JB and then from 1961 until Jan 1963 attended the then Alexandra Grammar School, making the daily crossing over the causeway, down Bukit Timah Road and on to AGS, the journey taking about one hour.
My school memories are not so vivid but I remember we had an excellent maths teacher whose name I do not recall but I believe he was quite short, with dark hair combed back and he called all pupils by their first name. Does anyone remember him.
The one pupil I do remember was Robert Martin. We both enjoyed running (I liked all sports) but each time we did our short run outside of the school we would be neck and neck until we reached the hill back up to the school, and this is where he ALWAYS pipped me to the finish line! I cannot find hjis name on the school list but does anyone else remember him.
Not from AGS but I see his name on the Alexandra Secondary Modern School list is a Roger Braga.
I do not remember Roger, but searching one of the many articles I have read over the last dew days, I saw an article by him in which he stated he lived in Jalan Tarom from 1959-1961 or therabouts' so we may have known each other. The chances are we travelled on the same bus across the causeway each day.
I look forward to following this site and am considering attending the reunion in Hatfield in October.

wildenrath2000

• View Profile
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
Hi Robert,
Welcome to the site. I hope that you manage to come to Hatfield. Email me at singaporeschool.reunion@googlemail.com for further details, plus a list of all our members.
I was in Singapore from 58-60 (Pulau Brani Primary) and 63-66 (AGS and then St Johns).
There is an active Facebook site for Ex Far East britbrats and also St Johns (which was formed when AGS and ASM combined to become comprehensive).
Regards,
Lynne

Fred

Re: New Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
Hi Robert,

Welcome to the site, hope you enjoy it.

Don't recall any teachers calling us by our first name, but recall Fred Laidlaw as our maths teacher, he looked a bit like Sid James! Also Miss Imrie, our English teacher, but she was a scary Scot and Mr Eaton - Geography he had a glass eye.

Fred