Author Topic: The new message board  (Read 18349 times)

Fred

The new message board
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »
You may have noticed that the message board dissapeared for a time. That was because xsorbit who used to provide the service dissapeared and took all their message boards with them.

Unfortunately, we not only lost all the previous topics and discussions, but we also lost all our members, their user names and logins. This will be a pain, but you will need to reregister - however it is an easy and free service, so go ahead and register.

If you have already registered for the e-mail ists, then I suggest you use the same username and password. :D :D

Cheers

Fred

JeanRontree

• View Profile
Re: The new message board
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 10:14:49 PM »
Hi Fred,

What a shame about the Xsorbit board, but now we can rewrite all our messages and get the little grey cells working again.  Didn't take long to re-register either. Hope all is well with you and Jan.

Regards
Jean Rontree (nee Bartaby)
AGS 1961-63

stevecrowther

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:14:22 AM »
Hi I am a newby here - registered today in hopes of contributing. I hope you won't mind some initial observations?!

By way of introduction, I was fortunate enough to live in Singapore between February 1965 to August 1967. My father was navigator in Canberra PR - 81 squadron based at RAF Tengah. We lived off-base having settled in at the Tanglin guesthouse; in Jalan Selanting and then University Road.

I attended RAF Tengah school and recall Mrs Crook (my class teacher) and the headmaster James Bell.

I was interested in the images section of the site and found photos of my old school. Is it me or is it not possible to enlarge these somehow as the old eyes aren't working as they were?

I have a few pictures I could contribute if someone could advise how to upload them

ttfn

Steve
  :)

MalcolmB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
Pity about the old Message board.

As Jean said easy to register.

MalcolmB

wildenrath2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »
Welcome back. I hope that everyone will start to use this site again. Check out the photos, a great selection.
Look at www.singas.co.uk for more photos and memories.
Email me at singaporeschool.reunion@googlemail.com if you want to be added to our data base to be kept informed of future reunions. We have had some great ones in Hatfield and many mini reunions in London and York.
Fred Crook, Steve Barry, Jean Rontree and I started the ball rolling with the first one, and all the rest were equally brilliant, with some wonderful helpers. If you weren't there then you missed the treat of seeing and listening to the old Gillman Youth Club band (reformed) playing all the 60's songs. So nostalgic.
I lived on the small island of Pulau Brani from 58-60 and 63-66. I went to Pulau Brani Primary, and then AGS followed by St Johns, where I started when it first opened as a 4th year, in Warwick House. My brother, Stewart Wilson, was in the year below me.
Looking forward to reading all your messages.
I am living in Muscat, Oman, at the moment.
Lynne

Fred

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »
Now here's some news for you all - I'm back at work in Singapore and will be for a couple of years. We live in a house near the old Seletar Air Force base and the office is just down the road from the old BMH at Alexandra. Isn't life grand!

I still haven't found any of the old schools, although I think I did pass AGS the other day, but all the roads here are one way and if you miss your turning or it's on the wrong side of the road - tough!

Anyway, I sure Singapore has got smaller, journeys that used to take hours, now seem to take minutes. We never seem to be more than 20 minutes form anywhere. Maybe it's because I have longer legs now, or a faster car.

Let me know if anyone wants me to take a picture of something or somewhere and I'll try to oblige

Salamat Malam and Terimah Kaseh!

Fred

cris johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »
Hi I am a newby here - registered today in hopes of contributing. I hope you won't mind some initial observations?!

By way of introduction, I was fortunate enough to live in Singapore between February 1965 to August 1967. My father was navigator in Canberra PR - 81 squadron based at RAF Tengah. We lived off-base having settled in at the Tanglin guesthouse; in Jalan Selanting and then University Road.

I attended RAF Tengah school and recall Mrs Crook (my class teacher) and the headmaster James Bell.

I was interested in the images section of the site and found photos of my old school. Is it me or is it not possible to enlarge these somehow as the old eyes aren't working as they were?

I have a few pictures I could contribute if someone could advise how to upload them

ttfn

Steve
hi steve i went to school at raf tenagh sometime between 1968-1971/2 i also think i stayed at the same guesthouse (but as i was only between 6and 10 years old i have to rely on infomation from my older sister ) time goes on but memories last forever

cris johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:24:14 PM »

ttfn

Steve
hi steve i went to school at raf tenagh sometime between 1968-1971/2 i also think i stayed at the same guesthouse (but as i was only between 6and 10 years old i have to rely on infomation from my older sister ) time goes on but memories last forever
memories going already forgot to put my name down ........cris

Dave Papworth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

Finally registered ok.  Yes it's easy to register BUT make sure you get it right first time, you don't get a second chance on the same pc! As Lynne says hope everyone starts to use this site again, I find the Yahoo one not very user friendly.

So to recap for those who don't remember me, I lived out in (the now defunct) Far East Mansions in Kim Yam Road, June 1967 - Dec 1969, my dad being stationed at Tengah on 74 Sqn.  I attended Tengah Junior then Bourne.

In 2006 I was lucky enough to go back and visit some of the old places, those that are still left standing that is, including what was Bourne School.  My pics are up on (Tom O'Brien's site (www.singas.co.uk).

Not sure when I am going to get back but have set a target date for 2019, Singapore's 200th anniversary!  Maybe we should go as a group...........

David  :)

Dave Papworth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:46 PM »
Hi Fred,

Well lucky you, mind you I understand it has been a bit too warm over there just lately, not so good to work in.  Hope you have plenty of spare bedrooms......lol.

As for the place getting smaller, well I am not so sure, they have reclaimed loads of land, I was told only 300m of original coastline remains!  Mind you, in a way I know what you mean, I guess when you are smaller everywhere seems bigger.

If you are anywhere near Kim Yam Road, would appreciate a pic or two of the new flats that replaced Far East Mansions, would be interesting to see what has replaced them.  I suspect tower blocks at least double the height, it's a wonder Singapore hasn't sunk with all the weight of the new buildings.....

Well all the best and enjoy your "tour"...

Dave

kenwildon

• View Profile
A Summer Chandos Invite 4U
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »
Singapore Schools Ė mini Reunion
London, Saturday June 27th 2009

Back in February 2002 three old school friends met for the first time
in 32 years and some 35 years since they were in the 6th Form at
school together.

Their names were Alan Cottrell, Phil Crawshaw, and Ken Wildon, and the
school was St. Johnís, Singapore.

Within just a few minutes they were like long lost friends bringing
each other up to date on their lives since Singers and soon they were
sharing memories as if they were just yesterday. Obviously not all
meetings will be as smooth and seam-free but this one was so good that
we did it again and again! Last time over forty people turned up, and
they all said they'd like to do it again! So guess what..........?
We are pleased to give you the next
Half yearly reunion Saturday 27th June

Chandos Public House, Trafalgar Square, LONDON

(And this time, by popular demand we will, once again, commandeer the
comfy chairs upstairs)

And this is where you come in!

We are sending this e-mail to everyone whose address we have who was
at St Johnís or related schools around the same time as us and whom it
would be nice to meet again. This includes all Singapore schools.

Please pass this same message on to any of your old friends from
Singapore that you would like to meet again, or who might enjoy it
even if you wonít be able to make it yourself on the day.

For those without e-mail thereís always snail-mail or the phone.

If this really takes off we could bring London to a standstill and if
it doesnít weíll still meet up with the chosen few.

The day will be very loosely planned, having only a beginning and an
end, leaving the middle free.

We plan to meet at a pub in London on Saturday 27th June from about
11.30 a.m. onwards. The pub is called the Chandos and itís in St
Martinís Lane to the northeast corner (top right) of Trafalgar Square
between the National Gallery and the Post Office and near the Royal
Opera House (nearest Tubes Charing Cross & Leicester Square). If
youíre not sure youíll be recognised, stick a post-it note on your
forehead or a luggage label in your buttonhole.

From there you can do whatever takes your fancy. Make arrangements
with old friends to take in a gallery or two, go to a matinee, go
sightseeing, Covent Garden, Tate Modern, ride the London Eye, shop in
Oxford Street, or just plain chill out and chew the fat, which is what
many chose to do last year.

Meet back at the same pub anytime between 5 and 6 pm and if youíre
still up for it, walk round the corner into Soho for Chinese nosh in
any of several eateries ranging from all you can eat for a fiver and
on upwards. By popular request we'll be heading for Wong Kei's chinky
nosh emporium.

After that the rest of the dayís your own.

If you like the idea tell someone. If youíre going to be there tell
someone. If youíre looking for someone, let it be known. Why not add
their name to the list? Just maybe someone will know where they are.
And apologies if you receive this invitation more than once. Better to
get it twice than not at all.

Thereís none so hard to find as those who donít know youíre looking for them!

See you there?

RSVP

Ken, Alan & Phil

If there is anyone else that you are looking for, please add his/her
name to the list before forwarding to your own contacts.

PPS If you have received this e-mail in error, i.e. you were not at St
Johnís or a related school in the 60ís, donít know what Nasi Goreng is
or why it was celebrated on a Friday then maybe this isnít for you.

Hope you can make it.

D P Dance

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
Oh dear!  All my literary gems lost to the ethersphere!

wildenrath2000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
We'll just have to write them all out again.

Does anyone remember the first week that St Johns opened, and the chaos of making up your own timetable from the many options available?
Freezing cold airconditioning and having to go to school in the afternoons !!

I was at AGS and moved to St Johns as a 4th year in Warwick House.

Looking forward to reading all your memories,
Lynne

kevin paul newman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 11:06:22 PM »
to steve crowther hello iam new on here iam kevin your father was nav on 81 squadron canberrras small world i was based at raf wyton in 80s and knew most of the canberra crews there was also someone there who had been serving at changi then  and old canberra with there distinct yellow striped under bellys like there were in singapore were there but they had reformed as 100 squadron fromnumber 5 and 7. we also had pr canberras there.